Image Source: Unsplash
Staying up to date with current affairs is essential for comms professionals and leaders. It helps us develop an open and critical mind, allowing us to learn, reflect, and put useful knowledge to work. In today’s ever-changing world, the way news is delivered is constantly evolving. To ensure you stay informed and connected, here are some tips on how to keep up to date with current affairs.
1. Subscribe to Traditional News Sources on Your Mobile Phone
Subscribing to traditional news sources on your mobile phone is a convenient way to access news on the go. Many reputable news sites offer free mobile apps that provide up-to-date information. Some popular options include CNN, BBC, NPR, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The New York Times, Daily Mail, The Australian, Daily Telegraph, Sky News, and ABC News. Download the apps on your iPhone or Android device to stay informed wherever you are.
2. Listen to Podcasts for News Updates
If you prefer listening to the news rather than reading, podcasts are a great option. There are numerous podcast applications available that cater to various interests. Platforms like Spotify and Apple Music offer a wide range of podcasts, allowing you to explore and find one that suits your needs. Whether you’re interested in politics, business, or entertainment, podcasts offer a convenient way to stay informed while multitasking.
3. Utilize News Aggregators for Quick and Easy Viewing
News aggregators are applications that gather news and other content for easy viewing. With a simple Google search, you can find a variety of news aggregators that cater to your specific needs. Here are a few examples:
- Flipboard: This app takes content from news sources and social media, presenting it as a personalized digital magazine. Users can “flip” through the content, making it easy to consume.
- Feedly: Feedly allows you to subscribe to content feeds from websites covering a wide range of topics, from sports to politics to entertainment. It’s a great way to consolidate news from multiple sources in one place.
- Pocket: Pocket offers the opportunity to build an archive of must-read links. The app recommends articles based on your previous saves, ensuring you discover relevant and interesting content.
4. Harness the Power of Social Media
Social media can be a valuable tool for staying up to date with current affairs if used correctly. By following reputable news accounts like CNN and The Daily Telegraph, you can ensure that your feed is updated with relevant news articles. Social media brings several elements to news consumption:
- Sharing: Social media exposes you to more content and allows you to see what others are saying about current events.
- Engagement: By following and commenting on news stories, social media allows individuals to have a voice and share their perspectives. It can also connect like-minded individuals who share similar viewpoints.
- Immediacy: Social media enables real-time updates on current events, ensuring you stay informed as things happen.
Why Should You Stay Up to Date with Current Affairs?
Staying informed about current events is crucial for several reasons:
Current Events Affect You
Current events have a direct impact on your life, whether you realize it or not. Staying aware of what’s happening in your local government, for example, allows you to understand how decisions made by elected officials can influence your day-to-day life. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic serves as a clear example of how current events can shape our lives.
Current Events Affect Your Loved Ones
Even if government decisions don’t directly affect you, they may impact someone you care about. By staying up to date with current affairs, you can better understand how these decisions can have a ripple effect on the people around you. It’s important to be informed and support those who may be directly affected by certain events or policies.
It Makes the World Smaller
The media has made the world more accessible than ever before. Staying informed about current events allows you to engage in conversations and share your opinions on events that may not have happened directly to you. It facilitates a sense of global connection and understanding, creating opportunities for dialogue and learning from diverse perspectives.
The News as a Teaching Tool
Reading the news can serve as a valuable teaching tool, not only for ourselves but also for others. By exposing ourselves and others to different articles and viewpoints, we can educate ourselves and those around us about important issues occurring in the world. This knowledge can help shape our perspectives and enable us to engage meaningfully with our clients and the wider community.